Sunday, December 27, 2009

I wanted some advice from other pregnant women?

This question isn't really about preganancy or anything, just a situation, and what you would do.





I'm currently just barely 21 weeks pregnant. I have a dog, who is wonderful in about every way. He's a lab mix, from the pound 1yr old. Dumb as a door nail, but over the past year we have been able to train him, to be a really good dog. He doesn't jump, bark or whine, he lets you know when he has to go out, he's generally great. Except every few weeks he'll randomly use the bathroom in the house. (He started doing this two months after he was housebroken) It doesn't seem to be related to anything, he won't let us know, and happens speraticly, sometimes 5 minutes after we get back from a walk, he doesn't whine or sniff, like he usally does, it's just all of a sudden my floors (I have tile and carpet) are covered with dog urine and feces. I can't seem to train him out of it. With a baby coming I'm concerned. I love him so I don't want to get rid of him. What should I do?I wanted some advice from other pregnant women?
The baby will be fine, just look on the ground before you set the baby on it, and if you see a mess you clean it up with some disinfectant spray!





I think you should also talk to a dog trainer, there may be something going on. Mention it to your vet too, to rule out a physical problem.I wanted some advice from other pregnant women?
keep loving him and maybe call a dog trainer and explain the situation. i dont think getting rid of him would do either of you any good. there maybe something wrong with him and he may need to see the vet. i wish you lots of luck with this, i am just telling you what i would do. i hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy. God bless
I am 14 week pregnant %26amp; we are in the same situation our ';Springador'; is only 17 weeks tho he is normaly very good at letting us know but does the toilet in the house sometimes as well! We are going to re-do the floor in the babys room and not let him in! And just hope that he will stop by the time the babys here!! Hope all goes well for u too!
i believe its a jealousy thing...dogs can sense a lot and he's sensing a change in you...my dog started doing that a month ago for the 1st 3 weeks and now that im 22 weeks it has stopped, try to show him more affection im assuming cause that's why i did and it stopped completely
You confused me! I thought he was actually using the toilet! LOL Well i dont have a dog...dont really know what you could do except call a professional trainer to train him out of that.
This site has a category for dog questions. You will probably get better answers there.
I am not an animal peron, so I'm probably not the best person to be answering this question.





As a mother, I know how important cleanliness is. Not only do babies crawl on the floor, toddlers play on the floor. Kids are so close to the floor all the time, and that is very unsanitary.





Your child could also have allergies. She'll also slobber on her hands and dog hair will stick to them. The dog may also lick her bottles because of the milk in them.





I would look for a different home for your dog, or just let him live in the back yard.





If you can't give him away, maybe try putting those papers down by the door for him to pee on.
Yes I think you should go ahead and get rid of him. He is going to be more work than you need with a new baby. Place an add ';free to a good home';. Sounds like he would make a better out door dog. Offer to throw in any thing you have for him toys, food, leash and so on. Many people would love a lab they just can't afford to buy one and then pay for up keep but if you gave him away that would open your options. Ask friends and relatives if any of them want him make sure they understand you can't take him back if it doesn't work out. I would do an add first though anything w/ friends or family can be tricky.
I am also 21 weeks pregnant. Have you taken the dog to the vet and spoke to them about this? The dog could have a bladder infection which would make them do what your saying. I was in the same boat kinda with my dog and i unfort got rid of her. i wish didn't now though. you never know the person really when you give your dog up and if they will treat them as good as you do. ya know. ? and i agree a pound isn't the answer.. I hope it works out for you..
Either Crate train him,


or maybe your feeding him too much food?


I just got my Boxer girl from the SPCA and she was sooo skinny!


We fed her as much as we could and shes pooped literally like every Half hour!


so now we just feed her in the morning and at night.


Thats all I can think to do, but don't give him up! Hes only one years old he will def grow out of that stage believe me! Hes your baby too!
ok if you want to keep this dog you must be stern with him i know its hard and we love our pets i have a little yorkie , who like your dog is well trained and behaved and i also have a baby , but he started to do this and at 1st i was unsure waht to do , but i was advised to rub her nose in hit and scold her keep tellin her why ur rubbin her nose in it thats shes a bad girl , and then make her get in her bed for a few hours and if she trys to move shout at her , i know its harsh but you have to do it to learn them as once they get into that habit and the scent is theer rthey will do it allt he time and like u say its unhealthy were a baby is , so be firm rub her nose in it scold her and make her lie in her bed u have to show her who the boss is . let her out in garden as often as u can or leave door open if weather is nice , whenu get up in morning if sh has not made a mess let her out str8 away watch her do a pee and let her str8 backin and reward her with a biscuit and a warm bowl of milk tell her shes a goog girl and praise her up , they are like children in some aspects you have to teach thema nd scold them when naughty but praise and treat them when good , hope this helps and good luck with the baby :-)
to be honest, with the baby around there will be a lot more pee and poo. If the dog is perfectly healthy and you keep the baby away from any accident, then I would keep your pet. I have two dogs and I could not part with them, so I understand your dilemna.


I would call in a dog trainer to help you.





If you really don't feel like you can keep the dog, put up a posting in your neighborhood Craigslist for ';free to good home'; and then be very picky about who takes him.





It's a hard choice. I understand.
If I was you (I have two dogs and 36 weeks along) I wouldn't worry too much about it. You said for the most part that he was a great dog that went outside, some dogs have nervous behavior, and when they feel sad or are upset with you about something, things like that can happen. It's really up to you as to what you want to do, if you don't think it will be good for baby, then it's time for him to get a new home. I know you love him and that's great but now baby will have to be first. So if you think its best put an ad in the paper, but plz dont give him to the pound. Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment