Thursday, December 31, 2009

Need Advice from Herpes + Women with Children?

Hello!





I am writing because I am 39 weeks pregnant with my first child. I have had genital HSV 1 for 3 years. I am currently experiencing a small outbreak. I have been taking valtrex for two months because I get chronic outbreaks all the time. Should I go ahead with the csection when I go into labor? I was told I could TRY a vaginal because it might not spread to the baby but I dont know if I believe that or not.





Any advice would be appreciated.Need Advice from Herpes + Women with Children?
A lot depends on where the outbreak is, and how close it is to your vagina (sorry for being blunt). If it is away from your vagina, and it can be covered with a water proof dressing, then the Dr may be happy to try for a normal vaginal delivery.





As you know, viral shedding can occur any time (although the worst out break is normally the first), so a HSV positive Mum does have a small risk of transmitting it to their baby even with out an outbreak. But you have been on medication, and I am sorry, I do not know how that reduces the risk as well.





It is true that your baby can go blind if they are in contact with a lesion, but it can be much worse, the HSV can settle in the brain, and cause horrendous problems.





To be safe, it most likly is best to aim for a LSCS, my SIL just had one last Tuesday (yay, I'm an Auntie) and she has recoved very well, and she has a low pain tolerance level.





The best thing to do is to talk to your Dr's, they know far more about it, and they will hopefully know what is best for you and bub.





Hope this helps, and I hope you have a wonderful delivery.





BTW, the rate is quite high for HSV, but not many tell us that they do have it, and I have never come across a baby that has been affected by HSV, and I have looked after 100's and 100's of Mum's and bubs.Need Advice from Herpes + Women with Children?
Not to sound mean but why in the hell would you risk passing that to your innocent child? So what if you get a scar from the c section isn't piece of mind worth a scar?
I was told if you have a baby when having an outbreak could cause Blindness. Have the c-section, it is safer and not so traumatizing for you.
I agree with the first answer, there is no need to put your baby at risk. Herpes can be transmitted through the birth canal, so why risk giving the infection to your little one? I wouldn't bank of the child not getting it during birth, be safe, have a C-section and be sure the baby doesn't get it. Good luck and congratulations!!
Well one thing's for certain, if you have the c-section, you wont have to worry about it ';might spreading to the baby';..just have the c-section to be on tha safe side.

No comments:

Post a Comment