Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Any plus-size pregnant women or new moms have advice?

I'm 6 weeks and 2 days pregnant and very overweight. I've always been overweight, but now I'm at the heaviest I've ever been. I was about to start a lifestyle change (I refuse to call it a diet) and exercise program when I found out I was pregnant. I was very overweight when I had my daughter and had no complications at all, but now I'm 35 years old and about 30 pounds heavier than I was when I had her. It scares me to think about the possible complications just in general, but my age and weight add to it. I go for my first doctor visit tomorrow and I plan to talk to her about my concerns (also not the dr. who delivered my daughter because I moved to a different town), but I wanted to hear from some women who've been through this. I'd love some honest answers about how your pregnancy went. I'm not looking for insults, just info. ThanksAny plus-size pregnant women or new moms have advice?
My advice is don't let your caregiver lump you into a high risk category just because you are 'big'. You *might* be higher risk but you are not *guaranteed* higher risk. I know plenty of quite overweight women who have had normal and healthy pregnancies. Eat healthy, and do your best! 35 years isn't that old either :-) Please stay positive, and don't worry until there is something to worry about. There are tons of positive stories out there! You might want to check out http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/


I have not done a lot of looking around on this site, so look with caution. There is another site here : http://www.yourplussizepregnancy.com/ind鈥?/a>


Just google 'plus size pregnancy' and get involved! I wish you all the best. Be well.Any plus-size pregnant women or new moms have advice?
I know how you feel. Im 21 years old 21 weeks pregnant and 235 pounds. I was 220 before I got pregnant and I was so scared that because I was so overwieght that something really bad was going to happen. I lived in fear, but so far its been fine withount any problems. I know that this didn't help much. Lol! But I just wanted to let you know I feel you.
My friend just monitored what she ate and took up walking every day for 30-60 mins. She actually lost weight during her pregnancy and was 20 pounds lighter by the time she entered the hospital.





She did not have any complications and delivered a healthy baby girl who has now just turned 1.
i use to have a friend and she was 130 pounds over weight and she had her baby and everything was fine. just talk to ur dr about ur worries.
Hey, I too..am very overweight. And I was told I would have nothing but cimplications because of it...well..I DIDN'T!!! The only ';complication'; I had was that I was 4 days over due, my water broke, and there was maconium (sp?) and I had toxsemia (sp?), But besides that..I had a very VERY fast labor and delivery..I'm talking from the time my water broke till the second she was born...4 hours and 9 minutes!! in which...1 hour was in the shower...waiting for my water/maconium to stop. I only pushed 2 times...both of which under 3 minutes. So...I think I had an advantage to 'being overweight' my hips were wider, and handeled the labor/delivery easier.





The only other thing I can advise you on....try not and eat fatty/greasy food. No pop, and try and walk atleast once/twice a day. that will help so you don't gain so much ';extra'; weight. I just went through a miscarriage 11-12-08 and 12-12-08. And I think my weight might be a factor..so I cut out all pop, chocolate, candy, snacky foods/chips, fried food. And I'm eating 3 balanced meals. Make sure you eat breakfast. Because if not, your more likely to be quite hungry all day, and will snack all day, and thats where you can gain the weight. (trust me) lol





Good luck! if you ever want to chat...im me Cugini2006
I'm overweight. I was even overweight when I was pregnant with my son. I am 5'4'' and before i got pregnant with him i weighed 185. I didn't really have any complications other than some bleeding that started at about 5ish weeks up until my 2nd trimester, but i honestly don't think it had anything to do with my weight. The bleeding did stop though, and other than that i had no issues during my pregnancy what so ever. Even my birthing experience was IDEAL! :)





I'm pregnant now and i weighed 198 when i found out. I'm now 5-6 weeks pregnant (not 100% sure because i havent made it to my doctors appointment just yet) and I've been a little worried about getting gestational diabetes and high blood pressure. I just know that the risks of getting those things is much higher when youre overweight so it sticks in my mind constantly. I'm trying not to worry about it though until i talk to my doctor.





I hope i eased your mind a little and try not to worry until you talk to you doctor and they run the tests on you that they need to to make sure you're not borderline diabetic or something.





I've been saying the same thing too actually... about the lifestyle change. I don't think it will hurt my baby or myself to eat better.... i'm going to try to cut out as much bad food as possible (chips, fried foods, fast food, too many sweets.... ect.) and try to get a walk in every day once we move in a couple weeks. (Our neighborhood we live in now is no place to be out walking... so it sucks that i don't have the option to start now.... but ill be able to soon enough). It hasn't really worked out yet........ but i know once we move it will be SO much easier because I'll not be going out to eat as much. Ill just buy healthier groceries. I hope it works out for you though!!!





I wish you luck and hope you have a healthy and smooth pregnancy. We can do this!!!! We can be healthy, lose weight, and have healthy babies... we just have to be extra determined! And having a healthy baby is enough motivation for anyone... so we have to do this. ;)





Oh... and congratulations on your pregnancy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment